ROYAL OPERA HOUSE

The Royal Opera House, Covent Garden, is a theater is London. Since 1946 it has been the public stage for the Royal Opera and Royal Ballet where operas and ballets were performed. It has also been a home stage for the Royal Opera and Royal Ballet. It is located in Covent Garden area which gave it its name. 
 
The Covent Garden stage saw many Russian dancers and ballets by Russian composers and choreographers. A great success belonged to Diagilev’s “Ballets russes” in Great Britain. In 1928, the “Boris Godunov” was staged at Covent Garden, with Fyodor Chaliapin starring. Ninette de Valois was the soloist in Diagilev’s “Ballets russes” who founded the first professional chorographical school in London and the Royal ballet group.   Ninette de Valois worked with V. Nizhinsky and L. Myasin, and danced in M. Fokin’s ballets and in classical ballets. February 20, 1946, Tchaikovsky’s “Sleeping Beauty” staged by Oliver Messel opened the theater. 
 
P. Tchaikovsky’s opera “Queen of Spades” was staged at Covent Garden under the direction of Soviet director O. Melik-Pashayev. Aida’s part in Giuseppe Verdi’s Opera “Aida” was performed by G. Vishnevskaya, a Russian opera singer. In Giuseppe Verdi’s Opera  “Traviata”, one of the favourite operas of Londoners, Dmitry Hvorostovsky was singing the role of Germont. Rudolf Nureyev was starring in London Royal Ballet for over 15 years and was a constant partner of Margot Fonteyn, a great English ballerina. 
The following performances were staged at Covent Garden: opera “Prince Igor” by A. Borodin, “Fire Angel” by S. Prokofyev, “Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk“ by D. Shostakovich etc. The directors of the orchestra were such great Maestro as V. Gergiev and G. Rozhdestvensky. 

CONTACTS 

e-mail:  museum.aeca@gmail.com

              association.ecfa@gmail.com

              

             

 

© 2018 AECA